Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Progress so far

I just finished the J last night.  Here it is, on 30ct Legacy Custard Creme over one with DMC.



And here are A and J together.



Something I've noticed with these designs so far is that the colors aren't always good.  For example, if you look at the letter A, you can barely see it.  I wish I'd noticed it earlier and changed the color to a  lighter shade.  On the A chart, I lightened up some colors.  I changed 3011 to 3012 and used 3013 for 3012.  Otherwise I felt the colors would blend into the 3362 color way too much.  

On the J chart, the colors for the pumpkin, 434 and 435 were way too close.  So I used 434 and 436 instead.  This is making me really nervous -- I'm hoping there won't be many more colors that are not what they should be!!   Did DMC make changes to their colors or something??   I'm just lucky that I had those lighter shades in my stash.  Is anyone else having this problem???

Anyway, that's it from me.  Thanks again, Vonna, for this SAL!
Margaret

11 comments:

Vonna said...

My heaven's to Betsy Margaret, you're going to have the whole blasted thing done before I ever get started! I've noticed in my experience with PS, that a lot of the colors are close or blend and I've changed them sometimes, but then others I haven't and when you hold the piece up and look at it you can see the variations and it is beautiful. BUT, I've also heard that DMC colors change from lot to lot too? I've never really noticed it that much personally, but I've seen examples of the change from dye lot to dye lot.

Amy said...

I'm glad you mentioned the colors. I was not totally happy with the colors on the S. The tape measure should be a lighter color. And you can't tell two of the tan colors apart. I think I will be less afraid to change colors as I go along.

stitchenmylifeaway said...

Wow!! I love what you have done. Thanks for the heads up on colors. I'll take a look at them when I start.I think that the 30 count is just right. I'm not ready to start quite yet..but soon as I'm really getting inspired.
Merry Stitching
Shay

Alice said...

What great progress! It looks terrific so far! I am glad for the head's up about the colour changes. I am really thinking of doing this over one, and I am a bit nervous never having done that before. I think it would be really hard to frog and so I will think hard about the colours before I start a letter.

Robin (Samplerbird) said...

You are flying! Great progress! Thanks for the heads up about the colors. I won't frog what I've stitched but I'll try to plan ahead as I progress.

Sandy said...

Oh Margaret, this is just pretty, pretty, and more pretty!! And you're making such great progress, too.

Thanks so much for sharing all your color changes with us. I'll be paying close attention when I get to these parts in case I need to do the same.

Loraine said...

Wow! Your progress is wonderful! Very inspiring too.
Thanks for the color changes. It will make it easier for me, when I finally get going!
Take Care.

The Scarlett House said...

Aha! I knew it. You do stitch in your sleep. It is addicting, isn't it? I'm almost done with the Z.

Laura said...

Wow! This is looking like a masterpiece already!!! I am having so much fun following along!

Julie said...

Margaret, this is absolutely stunning. You are making great head-way. I never thought to start "under" A. I was going to go straight across, but I may very well do what you're doing to "spice things up" a bit. Thanks for the inspiration. ;-) Keep up the excellent and fast work!

Katherine said...

I used to work in a LNS and was told that if you buy your DMC at a craft store where they have it out in the open; that light exposure can change the color enough to make a difference. The shop I worked in kept their DMC in the DMC drawer system with only slight light exposure at the ends. Also, twenty odd years ago the manufacturers were made to change some of their mordants - to ones that won't make us glow in the dark. And that has affected the color fastness of some colors.