Saturday, January 2, 2010

My New Year's Start

I'm starting my letters with the charts I have. That should take me a while to get through. Yesterday I sat down and began on the letter D. I have coffee dyed my 28 count Flax linen following Vonna's directions on Basted and Baked fabric. Except I tossed the wet grounds on my fabric when I put it in the oven which gave me the darker areas. I am stitching over one using the overdyed flosses I mentioned in my last post. Also, where I see a need for it, I am changing colors a bit. For instance, the eagle's head was to be done in "pale gold" (420 or 422 I think) and that was just not going to show up on my fabric. So, I changed it to white. Regrets - I didn't pay attention to where the dark spot was. Maybe it would have been better if I'd flipped it so the eagle was on the lighter portion. Also, sometimes I'm really SLOW to learn. I now know the reason why so many of you are stitching on evenweave as opposed to linen. I may change my fabric after this strip, or I may just follow on with this; depends on how frustrated I get with losing stitches over one. Have to work on other stuff this weekend, so I don't expect to get as much done as I did yesterday for a while. Happy New Year all.


Nic said...

I think your eagle looks just fine where it is, and I'm sure it will seem so more so when you've stitched the drum, as that will make that section above look so much darker.

stitchenmylifeaway said...

Katherine, I really like you eagle and your coffee dying. I hadn't thought about even weave vs linen for over one. I think I'll go back and take another look at my fabric. Thanks for the tip.